The following list includes all supplies needed for this course. If you want more details about these items, you can read this blog post: The Ultimate DIY Modern Calligraphy Starter Kit. If you assemble your own kit, the supplies will run you about $25 (as of May 2018).
- Any pen or pencil – I use Pilot G2 05 pens.
- A Nikko G nib – If you cannot find this nib, a Zebra G nib makes a great substitute.
- A starchy potato (such as Russet) – You’ll need this to prepare your nib for use.
- A straight calligraphy pen– Manuscript brand is a good choice because it includes a metal insert (you’ll learn what a “metal insert” is in the course, or you can read about it here).
- A brass-flanged oblique pen – This pen is only required for right-handed people. In my experience, only 10% of left-handed people find a left-handed oblique pen helpful. If you’re left-handed, I would skip buying a left oblique pen.
- Sumi or India ink – I prefer sumi, but India ink is great, too, if that’s all you can find locally. Most inks don’t come in a dip pen-friendly container, so you’ll need to transfer some of it to a small jar.
- 32# Laserjet paper – I use HP brand. You should print off the workshop worksheet on the laserjet paper, and you can use the many extra sheets for continued practice. Paper can make all the difference when you’re learning to write, and the laserjet paper that I want you to use works beautifully with a dip pen. (Note that you don’t need a laserjet printer to print on laserjet paper.)
- Access to a printer – So you can print off the Beginner Modern Calligraphy Online Course worksheet set. (No printer? You can always print the worksheet off via a company like FedEx for a little over $5.00. Ask them to print it on 32# laserjet paper!)
- A scrap of tightly woven cotton cloth – I use an old dinner napkin. You’ll need this to wipe your nib off intermittently as you write.
- A cup or mug of clean tap water – You’ll use this “art water” to clean your nib, both as you’re writing and after you finish with your writing session.
If you’d like to buy a preassembled calligraphy kit that includes everything you’ll need to get started (well, except for the potato and the laserjet paper to print your worksheet on), you can purchase a TPK Modern Calligraphy Starter Kit! We make new batches of starter kits every month.
*This page includes affiliate links Amazon.com.