If you have a fair amount of calligraphy experience, this course may be too basic for you. To find out for sure, take this short quiz!
This self-paced Beginner’s Modern Calligraphy Online Course is every bit as effective as my in-person calligraphy workshops. There are no time or demonstration constraints, so I was able to include absolutely everything that you need to know! On film, I am able to communicate concepts from different shooting angles, and you can pause and re-watch videos as needed. If you don’t quite understand how to do something, there’s a “Discussion” portion under each lesson where you can ask questions. Lessons include a short quiz and homework assignments. Here’s the course layout, including video durations (minutes/seconds):
Lesson 1: Preparing to Create Pointed Pen Calligraphy
- Video: Creating Faux Calligraphy (20:03)
Lesson 2: Pointed Pen Calligraphy Supplies
- Video 1: Supplies (9:57)
- Video 2: Prepping New Nibs (8:39)
- Video 3: Setting Up Your Workspace (2:58)
Lesson 3: The Straight Pen Holder
- Video 1: Straight Pen Overview (19:57)
- Video 2: For the Lefties – Tips for Using the Straight Pen (5:47)
- Video 3: Beginner Problems (7:00)
- Video 4: Straight Calligraphy Drills (12:50)
- Video 5: Writing Uppercase Letters (18:05)
- Video 6: Writing Lowercase Letters (15:45)
- Video 7: Writing Words (16:53)
Lesson 4: The Oblique Calligraphy Pen
- Video 1: Oblique Calligraphy Pen Overview (16:58)
- Video 2: Should You Use an Oblique Pen? – A Video for Lefties (6:07)
- Video 3: Writing Letters With the Oblique Calligraphy Pen (24:12)
- Video 4: Writing Words With the Oblique Calligraphy Pen (17:14)
- Video 5: Writing Words Without Guidelines (3:56)
Lesson 5 (Optional): Creating Copperplate Calligraphy
Note that this lesson includes a 10-page printable workbook that is separate from the course workbook. If you choose to complete this lesson, you will need a printer.
- Video 1: Writing Uppercase Copperplate Calligraphy Letters (19:08)
- Video 2: Writing Lowercase Copperplate Calligraphy Letters (12:08)
- Video 3: Writing Copperplate Words (20:45)
Lesson 6: Guidelines and Practice
- Video 1: How to Draw Pencil Guidelines (4:24)
- Video 2: Effective Practice Suggestions (4:29)
The course ends with a short video explaining your post-course homework. The total viewing time for this course is approximately 4.5 hours, but I’d recommend allocating two months to do everything that you’re asked to do in the course.
Once you purchase this listing, you will be given full access to the course videos and worksheet set! Please note that you must have or create an account on TPK to take the course. If you do not have an account, you can easily create one during the checkout process (or create one now). Once you checkout, you will receive an email with a link to the course, or you can find the course in your account.
I took this course and it really gave me a good understanding of modern calligraphy. She is so patient and clear with her instructions. Watching her videos was so much fun that I couldn’t wait til I try it out myself!
Judy Green –
Great course! You are an excellent instructor. Love all your tutorials and products. Thank you!
I’ve really enjoyed this course. Having never held a dip pen before this course it was soooo helpful! Lindsey breaks everything down into easy to absorb sections and gives easy to follow instructions. I’ve seen such an improvement in the short time I’ve been practicing since the course.
Julie Carroll –
This set me on my calligraphy journey! It was a great introduction that covered the basics really well and laid a good foundation to continue with.
I am working my way through this Beginners Video course. I really love it. Lindsey is a terrific, intuitive teacher. I like that I can do it a little at a time and don’t feel rushed to complete it all at one go. Once I have completed this course I am definitely going to order the Intermediate course! I would highly recommend it … it is well worth the price!
Marlene Kaim –
You helped me overcome my fear and hesitation to try my hand at calligraphy, Lindsey. Through the last five years I’ve enjoyed your beginners class and found pleasure in trying so many of your tutorials. Looking forward to a cozy February with TPK! Thank you!
I have purchased this course and cannot wait to get started! I have many of the worksheets and I like to play around with them. I find it very relaxing. I can watch TPK Instagram videos all day. It is mesmerizing.
Mary Vogel –
This course gave me a solid foundation for my calligraphy journey. Lindsey is a wonderful teacher.
Love this course, researched many sites trying to find a course on beginning calligraphy, but each one did not explain the process until I found this course! Love how Lindsey explains in detail the process…makes it much easier to understand.
Carolyn Jones –
This was such a good investment for me. You have given me di much pleasure during this crazy time. Love all the practice sheets, especially!