The TPK blog is a veritable treasure chest of calligraphy tutorials. I mean that in more ways than one! Some of the articles will help you move forward in your practice in a way that’s as valuable as gold. But — like a full treasure chest — it can take some searching to find exactly what you are looking for. So, for today’s article, I decided to put together a list of the calligraphy tutorials that I refer people to the most! To help you identify which tutorials can help you best right now, the posts are organized by skill level.
1. Beginner Calligraphy Tutorials
When calligraphy beginners email me, their question is always “Where do I start?”. I point them to The Beginner’s Guide to Modern Calligraphy. In that article, I outline everything you need to know to get started. There are several other helpful tutorials for the beginner, though! They are:
- The Ultimate DIY Modern Calligraphy Starter Kit – This article tells you how to compile an effective collection of calligraphy supplies.
- About the Oblique Calligraphy Pen – In this article, you’ll learn what an oblique calligraphy pen is and how to write with it. (Oblique pens can be incredibly useful for beginners!)
- How to Hold a Calligraphy Pen – An effective grip is vital to well-written calligraphy. This blog post teaches you how to find your best pen grip.
2. Beginner+ Tutorials
A “beginner+” is someone who has started learning but doesn’t quite have the basics down yet. These are the best calligraphy tutorials for that person:
- 15 Calligraphy FAQs to Boost Your Success – This article addresses several components of calligraphy that tend to stymie those who have just started in with the dip pen, like “Why does ink bleed?”.
- All of TPK’s Free Calligraphy Worksheets: A Master List – This is a running list of all the printable calligraphy worksheets that TPK has to offer. All of these worksheets will provide quality, stimulating practice that in truth is perfect for any skill level.
3. Pointed Pen Calligraphy Nib Information and Tutorials (Beginner+ to Intermediate)
These articles, which hone in on pointed pen nibs, should come in handy for anyone who is beginner+ to intermediate level.
- Which Calligraphy Nibs to Use and Why – It’s nice to switch up your nibs as your calligraphy abilities improve! In this article, you’ll learn about four different calligraphy nibs and what you can expect from each of those nibs.
- How to Know When a Calligraphy Nib is Done – For many beginners, it’s difficult to tell when it’s time to switch out nibs. A nib can wear out so gradually that you don’t notice it doesn’t write like it used to! That’s why this article is an important read.
4. Ink Tutorials (Beginner+ to Intermediate)
Once you’ve mastered your first ink (likely sumi or India), you’ll probably want to try out different inks. It’s also important to know how to troubleshoot! The calligraphy tutorials below focus on inks, and they’re perfect for the intermediate (or intermediate-ish) learner.
- Why, When, and How to Dilute Ink – This is a tutorial that I refer people to again and again! Whenever your ink starts to act wonky, chances are you just need to add some water.
- Common Calligraphy Ink Problems + Solutions – Unfortunately, there are some calligraphy ink problems that water can’t solve. This article discusses a myriad of issues that you can run into and how to deal with them.
- A Video Crash Course on Watercolor Calligraphy – Did you know that you can use watercolors as calligraphy ink? This tutorial will teach you how!
- Creating Gold Calligraphy: How to Use the Finetec Palette – When I discovered the Finetec palette, nothing could save any paper surface around me from gold calligraphy! In this tutorial, you’ll learn how to make sparkling letters, too.
- Writing with White Calligraphy Ink: A Definitive Guide – White ink is easy to use, but it can be confusing at first because it’s so gunky. This tutorial will encourage you to experiment with viscosity and get to writing!
5. Intermediate Calligraphy Tutorials
Once you’re feeling a bit more confident with the dip pen, it’s time to start using it to make cool projects! Here are some calligraphy tutorial that will inspire you to get to writing:
- 22 “Real Life” Calligraphy Practice Projects – This is a running list that I keep of calligraphy tutorials that have practical applications. (There are a couple of tutorials here that make for fabulous gifts!)
- How to Make Calligraphy Guidelines – If you plan out your letters with effective guidelines, your calligraphy will be stunning! This calligraphy tutorial teaches you how to make the best guidelines. (Also see: 12 Free Lettering and Calligraphy Guidelines.)
- About Calligraphy Slant Lines – Slant lines will help you to create calligraphy that’s neat and consistent. Learn how to make them in this tutorial!
Even if you recognized a few of these articles, my hope is that this compilation presented you with some calligraphy tutorials that help you to move forward in your practice! If you have any questions about something that’s not on this list, I’m happy to answer. Feel free to ask in the comments; I’m glad to help. 🙂