Is this course right for you? If you have completed The Beginner’s Modern Calligraphy Online Course, the answer is an emphatic yes. If you haven’t taken the Beginner’s Course, here’s how you know you’re ready for this one:
- You have a strong understanding of how to properly hold a calligraphy pen/form characters.
- Exerting balanced pressure on both tines of the nib isn’t a problem for you.
- You have a preference for and familiarity with a specific pen/nib combination (e.g. “I love using the Brause EF66 nib in an oblique pen”).
This self-paced intermediate calligraphy online course is the most comprehensive course yet to grace the TPK site! Without constraints on time or demonstration limitations, I was able to film everything I want to show you — from how to use certain inks to fun flourishing techniques. You can pause and re-watch videos as needed, and if you don’t quite understand how to do something, there’s a “Discussion” portion under each lesson where you can ask questions! All lessons include a short quiz, and most lessons include homework assignments.
To take the course, you’ll just need the course worksheet (print it out on 32# laserjet paper) and a dip pen, a nib, and ink. Whatever you’ve been using as a beginner is perfect!
Here’s the course layout:
Lesson 1: Different Calligraphy Inks (41 minutes)
- This lesson includes nine different videos that cover the following inks and how you might use them: gouache, India ink, iron gall ink, metallic watercolors, sumi ink, walnut ink, white ink, watercolor (as ink), and Ziller ink.
- Bonus material includes how to waterproof your calligraphy plus the foolproof way to combine calligraphy and watercolors.
Lesson 2: Different Pointed Pen Nibs (20 minutes)
- This lesson includes five videos that cover six different nibs (Nikko G, Brause EF66, Brause Rose, Brause Steno, Leonardt Principal, and crowquill nibs.)
Lesson 3: Different Pens (9 minutes)
- In this short lesson, we’ll talk about straight pens and oblique pens. I believe I can give you some insight that you don’t already know!
Lesson 4: Different Papers + Must-Have Items (10 minutes)
- In this lesson, I’ll teach you about some different papers that you might consider writing on. We’ll cover which papers to use for what and their quirks. At the end of the lesson, we’ll cover must-have intermediate items like a light box and a rolling ruler.
Lesson 5: Bouncy Calligraphy (20 minutes)
- Many calligraphers find bouncy calligraphy mystifying because it requires not writing in a straight line. In this lesson, I’ll help you overcome your fear of putting some movement in your strokes!
Lesson 6: Flourishing (55 minutes)
- The flourishing section will help you make organic-looking flourishes with confidence and grace! You’ll learn how to flourish individual letters, how to flourish words, and how to make white and gold reinforcement flourishes.
Lesson 7: Guidelines and Centering (26 minutes)
- In this lesson, I’ll teach you how to make beautifully centered, orderly calligraphy by drawing guidelines.
Lesson 8: Inventing Your Own Calligraphy Styles (6 minutes)
- Part of being an intermediate calligrapher is inventing your own calligraphy styles. In this lesson, I’ll give you “clients” to create projects for. You’ll need to submit photos of your projects to me in the lesson quiz. (Don’t worry if you’re technologically challenged — it’s easy to upload the photos, I promise!)
The total viewing time for this course is over three hours. Depending on your schedule, I’d recommend allocating two months to do everything that you’re asked to do in the course.
Once you purchase this listing, you will be given full access to the Intermediate Calligraphy Online Course videos and worksheet set! Please note that you must have or create an account on TPK to take the course. If you do not have an account, you can easily create one during the checkout process (or create one now). Once you checkout, you will receive an email with a link to the course, or you can find the course in your account.
This course description contains an affiliate link to Amazon.com.
Lindsey Bugbee is the star of this intermediate calligraphy course! I have also taken the beginner course and both are packed full of information. The videos are clear on instructions and beautifully produced. I love to watch her demonstrate the techniques she is introducing. Her generosity overflows on her website and in her classes. When I had questions she got back to me in record time. I have also ordered from her catalog and the products are top notch, packaged beautifully, and shipped promptly. It’s fun to be in class with such a knowledgeable and lovely teacher! A big thank you to Lindsey! It’s been a gift to have found her website and taken her classes!!
If you want to polish up your calligraphy skills, and learn more than you can imagine about the inks, pens, nibs, paper to make any project you want, then this is the class for you. I particularly appreciate the videos that Lindsey has so carefully filled with examples, how-to’s, and inspiration, plus I can play them back as much as I need to master something. I also appreciate the individual help, given freely if needed.
Bailey Crerar –
I really enjoyed this course! I completed the Beginners course in 2019, and this was perfect for going to the next level. The course is packed with videos that answer practically any question that you might have encountered in your calligraphy practice thus far. Beyond that, if there is not an answer, or, if you have a more specific question, Lindsey is always quick to respond. Truly making me feel like a valued student. This course goes beyond filling in worksheets, and makes you look at your own style and calligraphy practice. The projects that Lindsey has designed are authentic, and made me want to take multiple attempts at them until I felt I had truly mastered them. I really believe that my calligraphy practice has grown through taking this course.
Kimberly Pugh –
I think this is an excellent course! I have learned so many aspects of calligraphy which were not always addressed in other courses. Lindsay is an excellent teacher, very clear and concise. Her videos are paced perfectly. The handouts are invaluable. She is so generous with sharing her expertise. This is a very affordable course which I would recommend to all calligraphers… after taking her beginner course which was also very good!
Laura Jacobson –
I highly recommend the online Intermediate class with Lindsay. I was able to travel with Molly it and continue my practice and lessons. Upped my calligraphy skills and confidence a lot!
Laura Jacobson –
I highly recommend the online Intermediate class with Lindsay. I was able to travel with it and continue my practice and lessons. Upped my calligraphy skills and confidence a lot!
Kimberly Merrill –
Lindsey covers everything to take your calligraphy to the next level. I have not found anything out there that explains all aspects of calligraphy so well. Centering, flourishing, and creating bouncy style calligraphy were difficult for me until I took this course. I love all of it and the printable practice worksheets are awesome!!! Thank you!!
Valerie Keddie –
I am enjoying this course so much because you can go at your own pace and practice as much as you like before trying the next lesson. It is very comprehensive and spells out everything you need to know in easy and explicit terms. It is interesting and challenging and my calligraphy is slowly improving.
Judy S Crawford –
Lindsey is a wonderful teacher. She goes slow enough that she is easy to follow. The filming angle is always just perfect. The course is such that you can go back and re listen, re watch and she always answers emails and questions. By taking her beginning and intermediate courses, I truly feel like I can do calligraphy. I am a loyal fan. I’m thinking of trying her map making water color next even though I’m not particularly interested in maps; she is so good at giving tips, maybe I can learn to paint other things of interest to me.
This is another Lindsay course that is full of detailed instructions, guide sheets and examples which will have you writing modern calligraphy with great flair. Modern calligraphy was difficult for me because I began with formal Copperplate which follows strict rules. Modern calligraphy is fun and carefree. Great course and SO affordable. Detailed instructions that you won’t find in other more expensive courses. Go for it.