Beginner’s Modern Calligraphy Online Course
- Requires a simple compilation of supplies — You can find a list of everything you’ll need to take the course by clicking here.
- Comprehensive beginner’s calligraphy online course for right- or left-handed learners — This course was engineered to ensure your success with a dip pen.
- As beloved by students as my in-person workshops — Check out the course reviews!
- Unlimited help and technical support — Learners get access to a private forum. All questions on the forum are answered by me within 24 hours.
- Includes an accompanying 28-page printable worksheet set – Print it out as many times as you need to for additional practice!
- Instant access to videos + unlimited viewing — You’ll find nearly two hours of video lessons. All videos are captioned for the deaf and hard of hearing.
- No expiration – Start the course now or later; you will always have access to the videos.
If you have a fair amount of calligraphy experience, this course may be too basic for you. To find out for sure, take this short quiz!
This self-paced Beginner’s Modern Calligraphy Online Course is every bit as effective as my in-person calligraphy workshops. There are no time or demonstration constraints, so I was able to include absolutely everything that you need to know! On film, I am able to communicate concepts from different shooting angles, and you can pause and re-watch videos as needed. If you don’t quite understand how to do something, there’s a “Discussion” portion under each lesson where you can ask questions! All lessons include a short quiz and homework assignments. Here’s the course layout:
Lesson 1: Supplies
- Video: Supplies (5:52) – Includes a detailed explanation of why you need certain calligraphy supplies and how to prepare them for use.
Lesson 2: Faux Calligraphy
- Video: Faux Calligraphy (9:36) – You’ll learn how to create faux calligraphy and why it’s an important concept to master.
Lesson 3: The Straight Dip Pen
- Video 1: Straight Pen Overview (15:19) – Includes straight dip pen basics, like nib assembly and how to hold the pen.
- Video 2: Straight Pen Letter Practice (7:32) – Learn how to write letters of the alphabet in a whimsical, modern calligraphy style.
- Video 3: Straight Pen Word Practice (5:41) – You’ll put the letters you just learned together in order to write words.
- Video 4: Embrace Calligraphy Exemplars (1:12) – This video explains why you don’t need to commit calligraphy letterforms to memory.
- Video 5: Tulips Project (5:38) – The final project of this lesson combines art and a new calligraphy style to solidify your understanding of how to use the straight dip pen.
Lesson 4: The Oblique Calligraphy Pen
- Video 1: Oblique Pen Overview (10:10) – Learn why the oblique pen can be immensely helpful for most right-handed people, and some lefties as well.
- Video 2: Oblique Pen Letter Practice (11:00) – This video will teach you exactly how to use the oblique pen to write out fancy, flourished calligraphy letters.
- Video 3: Oblique Pen Word Practice (6:39) – In this video, you’ll utilize what you learned in Video 2 to write out words.
Lesson 5: Creating a Calligraphy Medallion
- Video: How to Create a Calligraphy Medallion (14:22) – Learn how to use your dip pen skills to create a beautiful work of art.
Lesson 6: Envelope Addressing Tips
- Video: How to Address an Envelope (12:30) – This video will teach you how to write a centered envelope address.
The course ends with a short video explaining your post-course homework. The total viewing time for this course is approximately two hours, but I’d recommend allocating two months to do everything that you’re asked to do in the course.
Once you purchase this listing, you will be given full access to the course videos and worksheet set! Please note that you must have or create an account on TPK to take the course. If you do not have an account, you can easily create one during the checkout process (or create one now). Once you checkout, you will receive an email with a link to the course, or you can find the course in your account.