If you have a fair amount of calligraphy experience, this course may be too basic for you. To find out for sure, take this short quiz!
This self-paced Beginner’s Modern Calligraphy Online Course is every bit as effective as my in-person calligraphy workshops. There are no time or demonstration constraints, so I was able to include absolutely everything that you need to know! On film, I am able to communicate concepts from different shooting angles, and you can pause and re-watch videos as needed. If you don’t quite understand how to do something, there’s a “Discussion” portion under each lesson where you can ask questions. Lessons include a short quiz and homework assignments. Here’s the course layout, including video durations (minutes/seconds):
Lesson 1: Preparing to Create Pointed Pen Calligraphy
- Video: Creating Faux Calligraphy (20:03)
Lesson 2: Pointed Pen Calligraphy Supplies
- Video 1: Supplies (9:57)
- Video 2: Prepping New Nibs (8:39)
- Video 3: Setting Up Your Workspace (2:58)
Lesson 3: The Straight Pen Holder
- Video 1: Straight Pen Overview (19:57)
- Video 2: For the Lefties – Tips for Using the Straight Pen (5:47)
- Video 3: Beginner Problems (7:00)
- Video 4: Straight Calligraphy Drills (12:50)
- Video 5: Writing Uppercase Letters (18:05)
- Video 6: Writing Lowercase Letters (15:45)
- Video 7: Writing Words (16:53)
Lesson 4: The Oblique Calligraphy Pen
- Video 1: Oblique Calligraphy Pen Overview (16:58)
- Video 2: Should You Use an Oblique Pen? – A Video for Lefties (6:07)
- Video 3: Writing Letters With the Oblique Calligraphy Pen (24:12)
- Video 4: Writing Words With the Oblique Calligraphy Pen (17:14)
- Video 5: Writing Words Without Guidelines (3:56)
Lesson 5 (Optional): Creating Copperplate Calligraphy
Note that this lesson includes a 10-page printable workbook that is separate from the course workbook. If you choose to complete this lesson, you will need a printer.
- Video 1: Writing Uppercase Copperplate Calligraphy Letters (19:08)
- Video 2: Writing Lowercase Copperplate Calligraphy Letters (12:08)
- Video 3: Writing Copperplate Words (20:45)
Lesson 6: Guidelines and Practice
- Video 1: How to Draw Pencil Guidelines (4:24)
- Video 2: Effective Practice Suggestions (4:29)
The course ends with a short video explaining your post-course homework. The total viewing time for this course is approximately 4.5 hours, but I’d recommend allocating two months to do everything that you’re asked to do in the course.
Once you purchase this listing, you will be given full access to the course videos and worksheet set! Please note that you must have or create an account on TPK to take the course. If you do not have an account, you can easily create one during the checkout process (or create one now). Once you checkout, you will receive an email with a link to the course, or you can find the course in your account.