This self-paced Watercolor Illustrated Maps 101 eCourse will teach you how to make an eye-catching artistic map of Paris, France! You can then use the knowledge you gain in this course to make maps for pleasure, take commissions, or sell your creations.
In order to create this map, I recommend:
- Basic knowledge of how to use a dip pen (learn here)
- Knowledge of how to use a program that will allow you to re-size images, like Photoshop or Microsoft Word
You’ll need a few basic supplies in order to create this map. They are: watercolor paper, a pencil, Photoshop (or other software), printer, light box (optional), a dip pen + ink, and watercolors. See this document from the course PDF for details!
Note that you do not need extensive knowledge of how to create illustrations in order to take the course. I’ll teach you how to use a shortcut tracing technique in order to draw accurate landmarks! I’ll also walk you through how to use watercolors, including blending and shading techniques.
Watercolor Illustrated Maps 101 Course Layout
- Lesson 1: Supplies + Draft
- Video 1: Introduction and Supplies (3 minutes)
- Video 2: Making a Digital Draft (9 minutes)
- Video 3: Making a Pencil Draft (24 minutes)
- Video 4: Adding Detail to Your Pencil Draft (15 minutes)
- Lesson 2: Adding Ink
- Video 1: Adding Ink -Part I (24 minutes)
- Video 2: Adding Ink – Part II (25 minutes)
- Lesson 3: Adding Watercolor to Landmarks
- Video 1: Adding Watercolor to Landmarks – Part I (29 minutes)
- Video 2: Adding Watercolor to Landmarks – Part II (17 minutes)
- Lesson 4: The Big, Bad Background
- Video 1: The bottom half of the background (40 minutes)
- Video 2: The top half of the background (40 minutes)
- Video 3: Evaluating the Map from a Distance (2 minutes)
- Video 4: Adding the Finishing Touches (26 minutes)
- Lesson 5: Digitizing the Map
- Video 1: Digitizing Your Map Using Photoshop (10 minutes)
The total viewing time for this course is approximately four hours, but I’d recommend allocating at least two weeks to complete the course.
Once you purchase this listing, you will be given full access to the course videos and PDF! Please note that you must have an account on TPK to take the course. If you do not have an account, you can easily create one during the checkout process (or create one now). Once you checkout, you will receive an email with a link to the course, or you can find the course in your account.
Cheryl C. –
Great map course! Lots of fun and the step by step instructions are very clear and easy to follow. I have made a couple maps so far and the recipients were very impressed. Of course not as good as Lindsey’s maps but so much fun!
Great, great course. I love watch it all over again.
Debbie Jones –
I purchased this video course a while ago. I am learning calligraphy and watercolour at the same time and this looked like an awesome challenge. The video has very clear, step by step instructions to take you through the entire process. The written instructions are very clear too.
Debbie Jones –
I bought this video course a while ago and thoroughly enjoyed it! The video takes you through each step very thoroughly and the written instructions are very clear. I am learning watercolour and calligraphy at the same time so thought this would be a good challenge.