Calligraphy workshops are the highlight of my year! I love everything about them: making detailed place cards, adjusting pens for participants, and tweaking curriculum to make concepts easy to understand. On the day of, it’s so cool to get to meet students in person and help them make an incredible amount of progress in just a few hours! If you’re interested in attending a TPK modern calligraphy workshop, I’ve got four different weekends available this year. Registration is officially open as of today!
About TPK Beginner Calligraphy Workshops
I’ve been teaching in-person beginner calligraphy workshops since 2015. In addition to my experience teaching beginners in person, I’ve taught over 5,000 students in the Beginner’s Modern Calligraphy Online Course. Beginners have a special place in my heart because I vividly remember what it’s like to be one!
A TPK Beginner Calligraphy Workshop is best for those with zero to very little experience creating calligraphy. In it, we’ll:
- Study basic strokes and how to make them with a dip pen
- Master basics like how to exert balanced pressure on nibs, which pen grip works best for you, and fundamental techniques
- Practice two different types of calligraphy (Janet Style, Kaitlin Style) (The goal of the practice isn’t to master the styles, but to get a taste of which you enjoy creating most — and, of course, to master pen motions.)
- Work with every high-quality calligraphy supply you could possibly need (You’ll be taking all supplies home with you.)
One of my points of pride for TPK workshops is supplies. Since I sell supplies, it’s easy for me to provide you with the very best! That includes hand-adjusted Nikko G oblique pens and Brause EF66 oblique pens with a handmade flange. I don’t scrimp on supply quality to lower workshop production costs, which I believe is vital to ensuring your success!
About TPK Intermediate Workshops
Once you’ve got the basics down, there are so many ways to build upon those skills! In the intermediate workshop, we’ll cover next-level techniques that may have eluded you thus far. These techniques include:
- How to center your calligraphy and how to consistently space letters
- How to organically bounce letters for whimsical calligraphy
- How to flourish, and how to enhance flourishes with complementary strokes and intentional ink droplets
- How to write with a variety of media, including gold ink, white ink, and watercolors
Intermediate workshop participants are expected to bring their own pen(s) and nib(s). I will provide you with ink to use, along with the following up-level supplies: a white pencil, gold watercolor, white ink, a rolling ruler, a watercolor set + a paintbrush (to brush watercolor on your nib).
In Miami, I’ll be teaching at The Artsy Hive. The Artsy Hive is a light-filled studio that’s nestled in the heart of Miami Shores. Normally a pottery painting studio, we’re taking over the building to transform it into a calligraphy haven! Miami workshops are nearly sold out, so if Miami is the most convenient location for you to learn, I encourage you to register soon.
- Click here to sign up for the Miami beginner workshop on April 18th from 12:00-3:00
- Click here to sign up for the Miami intermediate workshop on April 19th from 12:00-3:00
I live in Boulder, Colorado, so the bulk of this year’s workshops will take place here. And, I’m teaming up again this year with Jess of Greenleaf & Blueberry to offer alternating workshops! She’ll teach watercolor workshops in the morning, then I’ll teach calligraphy workshops in the afternoon. Both of us will teach beginner workshops on Saturdays and intermediates on Sundays. Jess will announce her workshops on March 6 via her newsletter; you can subscribe to receive an instant update!
We’ll convene at The Riverside, a location that has unmatched beauty. We’ll be in a window-filled room that overlooks Boulder Creek and, on Saturdays, The Farmer’s Market! The Riverside is downtown, which means that you can wander Pearl Street before or after your workshops for even more artistic inspiration. If you’re flying in, boredom certainly isn’t something to worry about! Check out my list of things to do in Boulder here.
- Click here to sign up for the Boulder beginner workshop on June 13th from 1:30-4:30
- Click here to sign up for the Boulder intermediate workshop on June 14th from 1:30-4:30
- Click here to sign up for the Boulder beginner workshop on July 18th from 1:30-4:30
- Click here to sign up for the Boulder intermediate workshop on July 19th from 1:30-4:30
- Click here to sign up for the Boulder beginner workshop on August 29th from 1:30-4:30
- Click here to sign up for the Boulder intermediate workshop on August 30th from 1:30-4:30
Which Workshop Should You Take?
If you have taken a TPK in-person beginner workshop or The Beginner’s Modern Calligraphy Online Course, you are qualified to take an intermediate workshop. (If you are a beginner, I invite you to take the beginner’s workshop the day before the intermediate workshop. It’s perfectly alright to take workshops back to back!) If you’ve never learned from TPK before, no worries. Here’s what I expect from intermediate students either way:
– Strong understanding of how to properly hold a calligraphy pen/form characters
– Adept at exerting balanced pressure on both tines of the nib
– Preference for and familiarity with a specific pen/nib combination
I’ll wrap this announcement up with a few words from past participants!
“Lindsey’s class was fabulous! We flew all the way from Houston to attend, and it was so worth the trip! She provides every necessary supply, and she is actively engaged in ensuring that every one of her students leaves feeling more confident at calligraphy! It was a joy and a blessing to take part in this experience, and I am grateful for the opportunity to attend! Lindsey is a lovely person and a skilled teacher!” – Katie A.
“This workshop was so fun! I always wanted to learn calligraphy and actually downloaded some of Lindsey’s videos, but there’s so much more to learn in person. I loved the feedback and interaction — that was priceless!! Lindsey is so patient and the price was very reasonable for all the supplies and resources, not to mention confidence I walked out with.” – Judy B.
“Who would have thought that in 3 hours I could improve my calligraphy so much? Not me! But I was overjoyed at my progress. Teaching us how to write with white ink was absolutely invaluable. I had experimented on my own with no luck. And the results are so dramatic that even if my letter formation isn’t great, it still looks terrific!” – Jan M.
If you have any questions, I’m glad to answer them! You can comment on this blog post or reach out to me directly via email (firstname.lastname@example.org). I am so looking forward to this spring/summer, and hope that you can join me at a workshop or two!