Is this course right for you? If you have completed The Beginner’s Modern Calligraphy Online Course, the answer is an emphatic yes. If you haven’t taken the Beginner’s Course, here’s how you know you’re ready for this one:
- You have a strong understanding of how to properly hold a calligraphy pen/form characters.
- Exerting balanced pressure on both tines of the nib isn’t a problem for you.
- You have a preference for and familiarity with a specific pen/nib combination (e.g. “I love using the Brause EF66 nib in an oblique pen”).
This self-paced intermediate calligraphy online course is the most comprehensive course yet to grace the TPK site! Without constraints on time or demonstration limitations, I was able to film everything I want to show you — from how to use certain inks to fun flourishing techniques. You can pause and re-watch videos as needed, and if you don’t quite understand how to do something, there’s a “Discussion” portion under each lesson where you can ask questions! All lessons include a short quiz, and most lessons include homework assignments.
To take the course, you’ll just need the course worksheet (print it out on 32# laserjet paper) and a dip pen, a nib, and ink. Whatever you’ve been using as a beginner is perfect!
Here’s the course layout:
Lesson 1: Different Calligraphy Inks (41 minutes)
- This lesson includes nine different videos that cover the following inks and how you might use them: gouache, India ink, iron gall ink, metallic watercolors, sumi ink, walnut ink, white ink, watercolor (as ink), and Ziller ink.
- Bonus material includes how to waterproof your calligraphy plus the foolproof way to combine calligraphy and watercolors.
Lesson 2: Different Pointed Pen Nibs (20 minutes)
- This lesson includes five videos that cover six different nibs (Nikko G, Brause EF66, Brause Rose, Brause Steno, Leonardt Principal, and crowquill nibs.)
Lesson 3: Different Pens (9 minutes)
- In this short lesson, we’ll talk about straight pens and oblique pens. I believe I can give you some insight that you don’t already know!
Lesson 4: Different Papers + Must-Have Items (10 minutes)
- In this lesson, I’ll teach you about some different papers that you might consider writing on. We’ll cover which papers to use for what and their quirks. At the end of the lesson, we’ll cover must-have intermediate items like a light box and a rolling ruler.
Lesson 5: Bouncy Calligraphy (20 minutes)
- Many calligraphers find bouncy calligraphy mystifying because it requires not writing in a straight line. In this lesson, I’ll help you overcome your fear of putting some movement in your strokes!
Lesson 6: Flourishing (55 minutes)
- The flourishing section will help you make organic-looking flourishes with confidence and grace! You’ll learn how to flourish individual letters, how to flourish words, and how to make white and gold reinforcement flourishes.
Lesson 7: Guidelines and Centering (26 minutes)
- In this lesson, I’ll teach you how to make beautifully centered, orderly calligraphy by drawing guidelines.
Lesson 8: Inventing Your Own Calligraphy Styles (6 minutes)
- Part of being an intermediate calligrapher is inventing your own calligraphy styles. In this lesson, I’ll give you “clients” to create projects for. You’ll need to submit photos of your projects to me in the lesson quiz. (Don’t worry if you’re technologically challenged — it’s easy to upload the photos, I promise!)
The total viewing time for this course is over three hours. Depending on your schedule, I’d recommend allocating two months to do everything that you’re asked to do in the course.
Once you purchase this listing, you will be given full access to the Intermediate Calligraphy Online Course videos and worksheet set! Please note that you must have or create an account on TPK to take the course. If you do not have an account, you can easily create one during the checkout process (or create one now). Once you checkout, you will receive an email with a link to the course, or you can find the course in your account.
This course description contains an affiliate link to Amazon.com.